Oversized blazers remain an article of clothing that many petite women find questionable. It can be intimidating to wear one because of their height. These pros and cons will help you decide whether or not an oversized blazer will look good on you as a petite woman.
- The oversized blazer has become increasingly popular over the past few years. It can be worn in many different styles and levels of formality. You can wear a blazer with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt for a chic and casual look.
- You can also go for the complete corporate look and wear dress pants or a pencil shirt with a blouse and an oversized blazer. There are many different ways you can style a blazer, all while looking equally fashionable.
Ideal for layering
- Since oversized sweaters are slightly bulky, you are provided with the opportunity to layer. You can get very creative with this process, including multiple levels of layers.
- For example, you could wear a button-up with a vest over that and then throw on a blazer as well. Or you could wear a thick sweater and not have to worry about your arms fitting through the blazer’s sleeves.
Can be overwhelming
- Petite women typically stay away from clothing that is oversized and bulky. These types of clothing have the tendency to swallow up petite women and make them look even shorter.
- If the oversized blazer is also too long, it can also make it difficult to create any illusions of a taller frame. This is usually dependent on what you wear underneath the oversized blazer.
Does not fit busty Petites
- The Blazers have no stretch whatsoever. They are designed to be stiff and generally shapeless. This is not helpful for women with large busts, since blazers do not provide the space for them.
- This will make it difficult for women to button up blazers, despite them being oversized. If they force it to button, the blazer may form awkwardly around their body.
No matter what, petite women can definitely pull off an oversized blazer. There are some cons, but they can be managed. In order to combat any concerns you may have, the following tips will show you how to style a blazer as a shorter woman.
HOW TO STYLE IF YOU ARE PETITE
Wear fitted clothing underneath
In order to combat the bulk of an oversized blazer, try wearing an outfit underneath that is more form-fitting. For example, you could wear fitting pants and a tucked-in shirt to highlight your waistline.
Since an oversized blazer is so shapeless, it is up to you to build up your own silhouette with the outfit that the blazer is layered on top of. This will help to create a layer of balance while also showing the world that you do have some shape in your body.
If a blazer is designed to be oversized, it definitely will look oversized. Even if you want to make sure it is big enough to achieve the boxy shape, you should still always stick to your regular size.
If you go for a size that is too big, the blazer will end up overwhelming the rest of your body completely.
Cuff the sleeves
Many oversized blazers will end up with sleeves that fall past your hands because of your height. There is nothing wrong with rolling your sleeves a few times to create a cute cuff. The cuff is actually considered fashionable if you don’t overdo the folding.
Wear a slight heel
If you want to fix any issues of looking shorter because of the length of the oversized blazer, try adding a pair of heels to your outfit. Any level of added height can make a dramatic difference to your silhouette.
Some petite women constantly wear heels because they actively attempt to look taller. If you are confident wearing heels, you can go for a dramatic heel to completely elongate your legs. If you are not as brave, you can stick with a kitten heel, a wedged heel, or even a chunky heel for some added balance.
Find the perfect length
There are several different lengths to choose from that will look excellent with your height. Try to find an oversized blazer that falls either mid-thigh or just below the kneecaps. If the length falls anywhere else, it can look like an awkward placement and end up drawing unnecessary attention to your short legs.
If you are struggling to find an oversized blazer that fits perfectly and falls at an ideal length, you may want to consider finding a tailor who can hem the blazer for you. This will give you the opportunity to choose any blazer you want without worrying about the length immediately.