Ruffles are popular with all the major fashion designers on the runway from New York to Paris.
The historically childlike detail has gotten a high-fashion makeover during the last couple of seasons, with top designers like Miu Miu, Marni, Marc Jacobs, Simone Rocha, and more showing pieces with exaggerated ruffles, voluminous frills, and structured flounce.
Whether they’re framing the face or spiraling off the hips, architectural ruffles build the foundation of a dramatic evening look. These stiff, austere waves are more modern than the floppier furls of past seasons, making this feminine detail feel new again.
Ruffles create volume, and enhance femininity, so they seem like the ideal for petite fashion looks. But, for petite girls, they also have the risk of being overly complicated and even distracting from your petite frame. Here is the tips to make ruffles flatter your shape:
- The key is to focus on the details, and avoid excessive ruffles for the whole outfit. Examples are a tight sweater or fitted blouse with ruffle details, or simple dress with ruffle trim.
- Opt for less complicated ruffles, so that your clothing won’t swamp your petite frame.
- Ruffles act as their own accessory, so there’s no need to trot out your jewels.
- If ruffles are snaking around your neck or cascading down your shoulder, pull your hair back in a sleek style so it doesn’t interfere.
- Shop for petite instead of regular sizes. Altering a piece with ruffle sleeves or skirt hem will be more complicated and costly. Why do you want to do that when there are plenty of choices in petite sizes?